So for the time being I will stay in the Civil War era. The model 1855 knapsack is something that I can make entirely by hand, and according to at least one of my potential retail clients, something the hobby needs. So let's go on it.
The pattern I have is based on at least one knapsack in a private collection, coupled with observations and notes made on several others. It will be very similar in appearance to the one pictured in the bottom right of the examples on pg 213 of Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Union. Detailed schematics for three different ones can be found in The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium 2nd Ed. (and may also show up in "ITR 2: U.S. Army Infantry, 1861-1865"[?]).
Currently, there is one being auctioned off here and another being sold here. They were both made by a contractor named "E. Robinson". Early in the war, they were issued with wooden frames, which were usually promptly discarded by the troops. And to my knowledge, none of the current suppliers of these packs sell them with this wooden frame. The dork in me wants to make a frame just to see how it would change the nature of the pack and justify spontaneously taking it out, breaking it up, and burning it in a campfire to the amusement of my messmates!
Now I will make NO claim that my knapsacks will be constructed of materials replicating the originals 100%. I use some modern components for both safety, integrity of the originals and durability. But I also will NOT release a product for sale that will not look and presumably perform as much as possible like the originals. That's my commitment to the folks who spend their hard-earned dollars at FCR. I am well aware that you could easily spend your money elsewhere--that's why I appreciate your business and your support. That's also why I want to make the best quality product I possibly can. My Model 1855 knapsack will be no exception.
Construction of a prototype is in the works right now. I am constantly gathering data on my products and using it to improve the quality and the backstory on each one. So as I learn more, I will post it in future blog entries here at Rally 'Round the Flag.
No comments:
Post a Comment