Saturday, November 10, 2012

In The Ranks 2: U.S. Army Infantry, 1861-1865

So what is the status of the next edition of the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium?

A lot of people who buy or read our sutler book are reenactors; and many of them are asking about when the new edition of the Compendium is due.  I can't tell you exactly when it will come out.  Probably sometime in mid-2013.  Like the rest of us who don't do history full time, John is working on it when he can, between full-time work and personal commitments.  But I can tell you some things about it.

It is actually being re-written and re-organized into "Into The Ranks 2:  U.S. Army Infantry, 1861-1865", the next book in our ITR series.  So, while much of the content will be what you're familiar with in the CRRC2, there will be a LOT of new content too.

Although John and I have talked about the book numerous times, I have not yet seen much of the actual manuscript.  From what I know, there will be, among other things:
  • A complete re-organization of the topics and chapters, creating a reference that is easier to use, but also more of a narrative about the Federal soldier 
  • NEW sections detailing western troops.
  • Content about tactics, which is also new to the manuscript.
  • Some information we found in our research, that to our knowledge, is not currently widely available but will be a great resource for reenactors who are seeking ways to increase their authenticity.   
 For those who own the CRRC2, this will NOT be a rehashing of that book.  It is in essence a brand-new book.  For those who never owned the CRRC2, you will not feel like you've missed anything if you buy this book.  In any case, it will consist of the high-quality research and the credibility you've come to associate with the work John does.  Although I have helped John with some of the research, I will not have a part in writing it.  I will certainly be selling it at FCR, thought and will keep you posted.

Thanks for your business.

Nic 

1 comment:

  1. Is this still available and if so where could I get a copy?

    ReplyDelete